Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Celebrating...Life!



Yesterday was my son, Nathan's, birthday. I still cannot believe he is now eight! I keep telling myself that I just brought him home from the hospital yesterday.

I sent him to school yesterday with some ice cream cone cup cakes to share with his class and his teacher. I asked him how many kids were in his class. Nate said, "18, 19 counting Mrs. Jarrett." I guess it was so funny to me because he included his teacher in with the "kid" count.

*If you want to make these, Make regular size cupcakes and mini-cupcakes.
Fill the ice cream cones half way with candy.
Ice the top of a reg. cupcake-turn upside down on cone.
Ice the top of a mini-cupcake-turn upside down on reg. cupcake.
Ice the "tower" and take a spreader or knife and make the swirls to look like soft serve.
Shake sprinkles all over and top with a "cherry". I used Pretzle M&M's.

Nathan received a birthday card in the mail from his great-grandma and great-papops. He said, "Look, Mom, I got ten dollars locked!" (He saw the lock on the check under the amount). He proceeded to say, "That means that I can't get to it until you cash the check." It's so funny how kids can be so smart and so clueless at the same time.


He wanted a "pool cake" for his birthday. As most of you know, I try and do a special cake for my kids. I let them pick whatever they want and google ideas from there. This one was done in my Pampered Chef torte pans. Vanilla ice cream between the layers and blue jello in the middle. Cool Whip for the icing and gummie candies to decorate with.


Not only do I let them pick their special cake, I also let them pick what they want for dinner. It can be take-out, home cooked, or in a resteraunt. Nate chose home cooked. -kinda makes me feel good :-)
He said," I want steak, and ribs, and chicken..." I had to stop him. I told him to choose one meat and sides to go with it. That sweet thing never had a problem with it. "Okay, I want ribs with mashed potatoes, asparagus, and corn on the cob." So that's what he got. Last year the only side he asked for was...cucumbers!



He asked for a skateboard and the Raving Rabbids game for Wii. He was so excited to get them. {I think he was expecting them, since he didn't ask for much.}


Nate was thrilled with his new skateboard. He was riding it and said,"This skateboard is better than X Box!" I never thought I would hear those words come out of his mouth!

As sad as I am to see my boys grow up, it's also exciting to see them become such unique individuals with different likes and dislikes, personalities, and yes, even their own opinions.

Tonight we will celebrate my wonderful husband's birthday. He is 31 and even more handsome than the day I married him. Yes, he gets his dinner birthday request. Adobo with rice. And he's getting a cookie cake, just like every other year! Happy birthday to my best friend!

1 comment: